60 Gallon Moonshine KIT "YOU SOLDER"
All models are our base models, the same ones we have been building for the past 7 years. Over the years we have developed add-ons which we know you will love. Let’s talk about your first or last Made In America Copper Moonshine Still.
60 Gallon Moonshine KIT "YOU SOLDER"
A do-it-yourself kit (DIY) is a copper moonshine kit manufactured by The Distillery Network Inc. A DIY Kit is 20 oz. Sheet copper which is cut, bent, rolled and in embossed which leaves it ready to solder. Clamping and Soldering of the pieces is what is needed to complete the moonshine still.
Apply ﬂux to the sharp seam on the outside and to the folded over side to the inside (the ﬂux sides will touch when you fold them over). Clamp the seams together on the folded over seam.
Our mission here is to clamp the pot to the correct size of the bottom circle.
Clamp the pot so the circle ﬁts snug, you want it on the tighter side rather than loose. This is important, please remember copper is soft and you will want it tight, so the solder makes a connection.
Plugs and Bushings
You’ll need to drill the holes (unless they are already drilled).
It is best to use a step drill bit; make sure you do not over drill the hole, you want the piece to ﬁt snug. Try to use the threads of the piece you are installing to make it ﬁt tight.
When you heat up these pieces, it is different that heating the copper up and soldering! You need to heat up the piece slightly longer before applying the solder. If you apply the solder before the brass piece is hot enough to take the solder, you will end up with solder drips on the copper.
Thumper Pipe Instructions
The seam is on the back side, the drain plug is on the front. Once you de- termine which side is the front and back, you then need to make sure the correct tubing gets installed. The long tubing goes almost all the way down on the left side. The tubing that does not go down much at all goes on the right side.
Plumbing the Unit
Once all of your pieces are ready to get installed, you need to line everything up on the table and get it nice and straight before you solder everything up. We call this “Plumbing the Unit”.
Making sure everything lines up before soldering the pipes is important to ensure that your unit looks proper.
Make sure you apply enough ﬂux to all joints before soldering. Hold the ﬂame on the ﬁtting and heat it up until solder takes. Do not wait too long or the solder won’t take. If this happens, use sand paper or wire brush to clean up and reﬂux, let it cool down before you try to solder again.
The coil for the worm needs to be installed in a manner where the coil spirals downwards.
The coil cannot be spiraling from low to high or down too ﬂat.
Make sure when installing the coil, the ﬂow of the spiral goes downwards to ensure the correct ﬂow needed.
Tips and Tricks
* Clamping the copper is important when building a copper moonshine still; the tighter you clamp the copper, the less solder you will have to use and a much stronger bond will be created.
* When clamping, make sure you use the clamps with ﬂat ends which pivot this way you won’t be left with marks on your moonshine still.
* Flux pieces before clamping and before soldering. The ﬂux cleans and prepares the area for maximum adhering capabilities.
* Flux the pieces generously to ensure proper solder bondings; the solder should “Mend” into the copper.
* Use ﬂux to cool certain spots down if needed.
* Go slow when soldering, do not overheat the ﬂux or copper and let the solder mend naturally with the copper sheet.
Make sure you ﬁll all seams with solder. We like to go until it drips out the other end and use gravity to your advantage!
* Always start from the bottom (side close to you) and run the solder up the seams. Put the ﬂame ﬁrst and follow with the solder, let the copper melt the solder instead of the ﬂame.
* Solder in Two Runs. First run is meant for the solder go into the seams. Second run is to make it look nice and ﬁnished. Flux in between runs, but let it cool off ﬁrst!
*Before you do a “Second Run”, hold the ﬂame on left hand side of seam and
you’ll see the solder bubble. If there is space for the solder to move, it will move.
*Wrap your clamps with tin foil to avoid solder drippings on your clamps.
Free Shipping to Continental USA. Worldwide Shipping Available.
Please allow 1 to 2 weeks to ship the unit.
Call us with questions at:
Email us with questions at:
HOW TO BUILD A 60 GALLON MOONSHINE STILL FROM A KIT
This listing is for a 60 gallon YOU SOLDER kit. It comes with enough solder, flux and materials to finish a beautiful 60 gallon complete moonshine still pot thumper worm and cap the thumper and worm are upgraded and have the two hose hook ups on the worm. Extra Large 15 gallon thumper and 15 gallon worm.